Networker

Re: [Networker] dividing backup traffic over multiple network interfaces

2008-01-30 22:27:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] dividing backup traffic over multiple network interfaces
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:23:10 +1100
10GB doesn't cost too much for the NIC's   but the switch side costs can
be megabucks. (although not necessarily such a big pricetag if you can
using Infiniband instead of 10GB ethernet).

Trunking multiple 1GB's is possible with sol10 if you have the right
type of sun NICs and your switch can have etherchannels configured...
(even with cisco, there are lots of conditions. Eg: firmware bugs, asic
limitations etc).

Multiple 1GB NICs at full load need multiple CPUs to keep up with the
traffic, and you have to be careful about the total PCI bus bandwidth -
you can probably run 2 NICs at full speed, but any more and a 440 might
not be the server for the job.

Using a couple of 1GB NICs and just using round-robin DNS to spread the
load actually works much better than one might expect, and that's what
I'm stuck with doing currently, I set up all the clients with a special
storage node hostname  and there are multiple A records for that
hostname in DNS  (this can't be done using NIS hosts map however).

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.