Networker

Re: [Networker] Top-posting and quoting

2008-01-28 17:34:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Top-posting and quoting
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:30:48 -0600
In regard to: RE: [Networker] Top-posting and quoting, Curtis Preston said...:

I think we would lose some and gain others if we enforced one way or the
other.  The only question is how many would we lose and gain?

You summarized that pretty well.

_I_ tend to prefer the "can't we all just get along" method.

:-)  Sure, but you realize that "getting along" often boils down to just
ignoring the folks in the other camp, right?

 If
somebody's particular style (not just bottom or top posting) of replying
is hard to read, how about we send them a friendly note telling them
that, rather than enforcing a particular way?

We could.  Maybe that would be more effective; if someone gets an email
from a half a dozen people, all indicating that their question was hard
to parse, they'll probably reformat.

However, with a limited amount of time in the day, which is better
use of my time -- answering questions I can parse, or emailing people
and asking them to reformulate their question?  I think I'll stick to
helping with the ones that I find easy to read.

I'm not trying to be a bottom-posting fascist, and I'm perfectly capable
of getting along with people that top-post, don't trim extraneous quotes,
etc.  I also would not complain if people started posting to the list
in their native language.  It's just a lot less likely that I'm going to
be any help to people following any of those practices.  That's OK, as
I'm sure there will be someone else that will be able to help.

Just my $0.02.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)