Networker

Re: [Networker] Migration

2008-01-28 10:46:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migration
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:40:24 -0500
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
01/25/2008 02:22:19 PM:

> In regard to: [Networker] Migration, Skinner, Alan C Mr CTR USA IMCOM
said...:

> > I am about to migrate (FROM) a Tape Library that houses 100 cartridges
> > and two sdlt320 tape drives (TO) a 256 slot library that houses 4 LTO3
> > tape drives.
> >
> > Here's my environment:
> > Entire Windows 2003 shop
> >    Backing Up about 30 Servers
> >    2 month retention policy
> > Running Networker 7.2.2 with exchange and sql modules.
> >
> > How do I migrate to the new but still have the capability to restore
> > from the old for the 2 months???
>
> What part of the migration process in particular is causing you
problems?
> Your question is pretty general, so it's hard to know what in particular
> one should concentrate on when trying to provide help.
>
> The general procedure would be
>
> - define the new jukebox (and drives)
> - get all new backups going to the new jukebox
> - leave the old jukebox around until all the tapes in it are listed as
>    recycleable, then delete the old volumes and the old jukebox

Why would you need to wait until all volumes are listed as recycleable,
before deleting the old jukebox? Couldn't you (theoretically) just
physically move the volumes to the new jukebox? As long as you inventory
the slots, so NW knows where the volumes are, shouldn't that be all that
NW cares about (from a volume point of view)? He's asking about restoring
from the old tapes; presuming that the new jukebox/drives are compatable,
he should be able to read and restore the old tapes from the new drives.