Networker

Re: [Networker] recommendation to backup 1.5 million small files?

2008-01-25 05:10:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] recommendation to backup 1.5 million small files?
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:07:29 +0000
The storage system is HP EVA. I will look at use of SnapImage to backup these
two disks.

  The EVA has snapshot capability which will allow us to mount the snapshot
onto the backup server and backup the disks but we will still have the problem
of a long backup due to many files and also the backup is then associated with
the networker server index rather than client index.

  Thanks for all the advice from everyone on this discussion.

lemons_terry AT emc DOT com wrote:
  Hi Mark

What type of storage system does this server use to house those 1.5 million
files? Depending on your answer, NetWorker may already have a companion product
that will do very useful and clever things. I'm referring to the NetWorker
PowerSnap family of products. The manuals are on Powerlink
(http://powerlink.emc.com) at Home > Support > Technical Documentation and
Advisories > Software ~ J-O ~ Documentation > NetWorker Application and
PowerSnap Modules, if you'd like a dive into the details.

I know that others have already mentioned SnapImage, so thought I'd broaden the
discussion to include these other products.

Hope this helps!
tl

Terry Lemons
Backup Platforms Group