Networker

[Networker] Cloning parallelism

2008-01-23 17:07:37
Subject: [Networker] Cloning parallelism
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:02:56 -0800
Darren Dunhame wrote

> What is the advantage to loading a VTL tape a minimal number of times?
> On (much older) devices I've worked with, that load time was very
> short.  And demuxing a VTL is much easier than demuxing a physical tape.
>
> --
> Darren Dunham                                           ddunham AT taos DOT
> com
> Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
> < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

I have a concern that if I don't, that then I'll have contention for the same
source tape for several clone processes.  My main objective is to utilize all
of the available physical drives for cloning in order to minimize the overall
clone time.  If I organize the clone processes to do all the reading from a
particular virtual drive at once, I'm hoping the physical drives will be used
more efficiently.  My concerns may very well turn out to be moot though.