Networker

Re: [Networker] Can't set custom volume label on LTO4 tapes

2008-01-17 14:29:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can't set custom volume label on LTO4 tapes
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:27:24 -0500
Paula> I'm trying to setup a new Storagetek Sl500 with 4 HP LTO
Paula> Ultrium-4 tape drives.

Paula> So far I've gotten everything working I've tried except the
Paula> volume labeling.  No matter what volume label I specifiy it
Paula> awlays labels the tape to be the same as the barcode of the
Paula> tape.

Why would you want a custom label?  I'm just curious because I find it
much easier to just refer to tapes by their barcode labels as their
full name as well.  It limits confusion (and delay, as in Thomas the
Tank Engine world :-).

Paula> It manages to use the tapes properly based I assume on the tape
Paula> pool which is being set properly.

Sure.

Paula> Networker 7.2.2 Jumbo
Paula> Solaris 9

Paula> Also in Networker I defined these tape drives LTO-3 since LTO-4
Paula> is not a listed option. This always worked in the AIT world!

That should work...

Paula> Here's an example:
Paula> # nsrjb -j UofMjukebox2 -L -b Sep -S 89

But when you run your command, you're not actually telling it what
label to use here, just the pool, slot and jukebox.  You'd need to do:

      nsrjb -j UofMjukebox2 -L -b Sep -S 89 bob

to get the tape labeled 'bob' even though the barcode is something
different.  At least that what I would think would need to be done
from looking at the nsrjb man page quickly.

I'm probably off base though... :]

Paula> Are you sure you want to over-write 000001 with a new label? y
Paula> #
Paula> #nsrjb -j UofMjukebox2 -C

Paula> Jukebox UofMjukebox2:
Paula>   slot  volume                                    pool  barcode  volume
id
Paula>      recyclable
Paula>      1: Cleaning Tape (70 uses left) CLNU00                      -
Paula>      2: Cleaning Tape (70 uses left) CLNU01                      -
Paula>      3:
Paula>      <snip>
Paula>     77:
Paula>     78: 000002                                    Test  000002 210655345

Paula>    no
Paula>     79:
Paula>     80:
Paula>     81:
Paula>     82:
Paula>     83:
Paula>     84:
Paula>     85:
Paula>     86:
Paula>     87:
Paula>     88:
Paula>     89: 000001                                    Sep   000001 193878527

Paula>    no
Paula>     90:
Paula>     <snip>
Paula>         *not registered in the NetWorker media data base

Paula> drive 1 (/dev/rmt/6hbn) slot   :
Paula> drive 2 (/dev/rmt/7hbn) slot   :
Paula> drive 3 (/dev/rmt/8hbn) slot   :
Paula> drive 4 (/dev/rmt/9hbn) slot   :

Paula> I've opened a case with EMC but wondered if this was the default with LTO
Paula> tapes or if anyone else has had this problem?

Paula> Thanks!
Paula> Paula
Paula> --
Paula> | Paula Ehn  VE4MHZ/VE4HZ                    Room E3-628 EITC     |
Paula> | Unix System Administrator                  pehn AT cc.umanitoba DOT ca

Paula> | Academic Computing and Networking          (204)474-7849        |
Paula> | University of Manitoba                     Fax: (204) 474-7920  |

Paula> To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu
and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to
Paula> via RSS at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER