Networker

Re: [Networker] Anyone installed 7.4SP1 on Windows yet?

2008-01-10 10:23:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Anyone installed 7.4SP1 on Windows yet?
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:21:10 -0500
Actually, that's not exactly true. In other OS's persistent binding will
lock the device to a drive, but under Windows and it's dynamic device
system, it won't. It is necessary to have persistent binding, but not
sufficient.  As long as your drives aren't powered up differently, or
fail, they will have the same device name, however, if anything changes,
your drives can be renumbered even with FC or SCSI persistent binding.

The fix is the hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873337/ and a
registry change.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
www.otaotr.com     | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139