Networker

Re: [Networker] Anyone installed 7.4SP1 on Windows yet?

2008-01-10 09:48:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Anyone installed 7.4SP1 on Windows yet?
From: "Greggs, Dana" <c-dgreggs AT STATE.PA DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:43:37 -0500
I agree. I posted earlier to the thread but I am reposting. I ( I would
say we but it really is just me) run 4 Networker Servers (Windows 2003)
that back up over 700 Servers running Windows  and Linux OS's and  whose
primary functions are Web/Application Servers powered by clustered MSSQL
or Oracle Databases. We have run Networker since 5.x. We have had issues
but since 6.1 we have been stable. I tried NMC and 7.3 but rolled it
back to 7.2.2. I like Networker because I can "set it and forget it". It
just works. If I have an issue 99.9% of the time it is not Networker.
Once I properly configure the OS and Networker I don't touch it.

We run IBM hardware and have LTO2, LTO 3 and will be soon upgrading to
LTO4 across the board. I don't have issues with driver renumbering or
any of the other issues people attribute to Windows. If you configure
your hardware, OS and Networker properly it should just rock. I
consistently achieve better backup results with Networker and Windows
than my SAN/Hardware vendor (IBM) does using Tivoli/AIX or
Tivoli/Windows. I write to tapes easily at the full non-compressed
capacity and often at their Max/compressed rate on LTo2 and LTO3.

Thanks,

Dana