Networker

[Networker] Backing up Filer via NFS from CentOS 5 x86_64 client - not working

2008-01-10 09:20:26
Subject: [Networker] Backing up Filer via NFS from CentOS 5 x86_64 client - not working
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:15:58 -0500
I'm switching to a new Networker server in our environment which will be running on a CentOS 5 x86_64 server. I've installed Networker 7.4sp1 (a.k.a. 7.4.1) Everything is working great so far.

I have one old Netapp Filer that I had been backing up via a crossover cable between the Networker server and the Filer, and mounting the NFS volume on the Networker server. I back up the nightly.0 snapshot specifically, by having the path to the snapshot in the save set list.

I moved the crossover to the new server, and mounted the volume. However, when it backs it up, its not backing up everything - in fact, its quite weird.

It seems that it will only go down two directory levels, and it treats ALL objects as directories! That is, if I've got a file in .snapshot/nightly.0/foo called "bar", "bar" is backed up as a directory, not a file! In recover I can actually cd to it.

This MAY be a problem with NFS, although normal access seems to work fine - I can get to all the files. However, one difference I've noted between this and an (much) older Linux system that also mounts the same volume is that when I do a "df ." inside the .snapshot volume, I don't get the statistics on the mounted volume as expected - I get the statistics on the snapshot volume - which is NOT the case in similar setups I have with the older Linux host (old debian version, not sure which, i686), or another setup I have (running Red Hat EL4 i686).

In fact, all the proper access seems to work via the older client, but that requires the traffic to run over the network twice - which was all supposed to be eliminated by the direct crossover... :(

Anyone else run into this? I don't know if its a Networker client issue (running the 7.4.1 client as required since its the server), an x86_64 issue, or a CentOS 5 issue right now...checking other systems that might allow me to narrow it down...

-Brian