Networker

[Networker] Problem recovering data due to block size?

2008-01-09 19:12:06
Subject: [Networker] Problem recovering data due to block size?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:08:26 -0500
Hi,

I'm trying to recover some data from an older LTO-1 tape in a Seagate LTO-1 drive. I'm using save set recover. This was working fine on newer LTO-1 media, but when I tried it on some older LTO-1 media, I get this error:

Wed 20:46:29 media notice: Volume "vol04" on device "rd=scribe:/dev/nst6": Block size is 512 bytes not 65536 bytes. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is disabled.

It just sits there with the message: "reading, moving forward 3232 record(s)." The tape drive is blinking, but hard to tell what's happening.

It's been that way for over an hour now, and it should only take a minute or so to move a few thousand records. Maybe it's reading through the whole tape?

I finally got tired of waiting and canceled the recovery, but I can't unmount it. NW complains that the device is busy.
Should I just let it continue?

We're using NW 7.2.2 on Solaris with a RH Linux storage node. We have an STK tape library with 4 IBM LTO-3 drives and 2 Seagate LTO-1 drives. I think way back when this media was first written we either weren't using an /etc/stinit.def file. I know at some point it was different. Here's the section
of the current stinit.def file that applies:

manufacturer=SEAGATE model = "ULTRIUM06242-XXX" {
can-bsr scsi2logical drive-buffering
timeout=800
long-timeout=14400
mode1 blocksize=0 density=0x00  # as close as possible to st.conf entry
}

Here's another stinit.def file that we *may* have been using back when the data was written:

# Seagate Ultrium LTO
manufacturer=SEAGATE model = "ULTRIUM06242-XXX" {
scsi2logical=1 can-bsr auto-lock
mode1 blocksize=0
}

I don't see that the stinit.def file should *prevent* NetWorker from being able to read a tape that was possibly written at a different block size. BUT should I rename the /etc/stinit.def file, reboot the server and then try again with no defined stinit.def and see if that works?
If not then try the other stinit.def file version? Something else?

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210