Networker

Re: [Networker] Major problem with directive - need help please

2007-12-23 22:18:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Major problem with directive - need help please
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 21:15:48 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Major problem with directive - need help please,...:

Let's say '/0/data/joe' is the file system mount point. I have a custom
server side directive for NSR client resource 1 of 2 (group 1)
which includes the same lines from the Unix standard directives but also includes the following line:

<< /0/data/joe >>
+null: .?* *

Resource 2 of 2 (group 2) uses the Unix standard directives (server side) and lists the following save set:
/0/data/joe

Both groups are members of the same pool, and indexing is turned on for the pool. Both client resources have a one month browse policy. Since I want to be able to browse the backed up data, I'm using the '+null' rather than a 'skip'. In my testing, I observed that if I run an incremental on group 2 before running group 1 then everything is fine. However, if I add, modify or update the time on any data under /0/data/joe, and then I run group 1 before running group 2 then when I subsequently run group 1, it backs up nothing.

I think that last bit is the most important clue, but I think you have a
typo there -- did you mean to say "then when I subsequently run group 2"?

Here's what I think you should try:

- modify your client #1 so that it does this

<< /0/data >>
        +skip: joe

I recommend you try client 1 with skip, not null.  I think null may be
causing the majority of your problem -- it's updating the index entries
for stuff under /0/data/joe, without giving you anything that you can
actually recover.  Then when group 2 runs, there's nothing for an
incremental to back up, but the index already recorded what files changed
(without actually being backed up).

Client #2 shouldn't need to change.

Do a full backup of each client after making this directive change.  Then
try incrementals.  Report back on whether that makes a difference or not.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)