Networker

Re: [Networker] oracle rman backup reports that file changed during backup?

2007-12-14 15:17:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] oracle rman backup reports that file changed during backup?
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:15:16 -0500
Yes, I agree. There are actually 3 "normal" oracle backup solutions.
There are some more complicated ones out there, but the main 3 are:

1) COLD

   Database is shut down completely and the backup software backs up the
datafiles.

2) HOT

   Oracle puts a tablespace into a special mode where you can then copy
the datafile in a consistent way even though the database is not
shutdown

3) RMAN

   Network Module for Oracle (when configured correctly) will use Oracle
RMAN to backup the database via the Oracle SBT api. There are no file
level backups, rather than data is shipped via SBT to the driver. That's
why you install something like /usr/lib/libnwora.so so during the NMO
install. That allows Oracle to send it to the Legato backup.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
www.otaotr.com     | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139