Networker

[Networker] VCB proxy as a storage node

2007-12-14 12:04:47
Subject: [Networker] VCB proxy as a storage node
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:15:39 -0800
Greetings

I'm trying to re-design the way we do backups for our vm's and would appreciate
any feedback.  Currently we use the vRanger product to do LAN backups of about
100 vm's, which are then copied to our NAS, where Networker grabs them and
backs them up to tape.

This system works, and I love vRanger, but the overall process is slow, kludgy,
and will not scale well.  Scalabilty is important as we are expecting a lot of
growth in the number of vm's next year, approx 100 more or so.

Despite the fact that I have less than 6 months exposure to Networker (and
haven't had a class yet grumblegrumble) I'm contemplating the following:

1) Reconfigure our vRanger machine (a Win2k3 sp2 server) to attach to our SAN
and configure it as a VCB proxy.
2) Additionally install Networker and configure it as a storage node.  We're at
v 7.3.3 and our NW Server is also a Win 2k3 sp2 server fwiw.
3) Use the vRanger software and VCB to backup the vm's via FC
4) Use Networker to backup the vRanger flatfile backups to VTL via FC.  Our
VTL's are configured to clone to tape for long-term-ish retention.

What I like about this is that it a) avoids backup traffic over the LAN, b)
will scale better without the NAS/NDMP steps, and c) should be much faster.

I think that this would capture the strengths of vRanger, VCB, and Networker,
but I don't want to miss any potential potholes.  All feedback is appreciated.
Thanks!