Networker

Re: [Networker] Errors labeling tapes?

2007-12-14 11:25:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Errors labeling tapes?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:19:53 -0500
On Dec 14, 2007, at 10:53 AM, MIchael Leone wrote:

Here's a new one ... I have some tapes that I've been using (i.e., they are already labeled; they've been used in jobs before). Today I went to re-label them, because (for some odd reason) the tape label doesn't match
the bar code. And I got this error:

nsrjb -v -L -bPHACLONE -S2  1127153749

setting verbosity level to `1'
Info: Loading volume `893287' from slot `2' into device `\\.\Tape3'.
Info: Operation `Verify label' in progress on device `\\.\Tape3'
Info: Cannot read the current volume label `read open error: drive status
is There is not a tape in the drive'.
Info: nsrmmgd assumes the volume is unlabeled and will write a new label. Info: Operation `Label without mount' in progress on device `\\. \Tape3'
Info: Label: `1127153749', pool: `PHACLONE', capacity: `<NULL>'.
Info: Operation `Eject' in progress on device `\\.\Tape3'
Info: Unloading volume `893287' from device `\\.\Tape3' to slot 2.
Error: read open error: drive status is There is not a tape in the drive
39077:nsrjb: error, Jukebox command terminated with errors.

I love the way it says there's no tape in the drive. :-) This tape volume
thinks it's 893287; it's supposed to be 1127153749 (which is the bar
code).

Has anybody seen this type of error before? I have a couple tapes where it
is showing up. But only a couple ...

This is not the first tape labeling oddness I've seen in NW 7.4 (on
Win2003, in my case, with an HP MSL 5052 tape library). I saw a post here
from some one else who also noticed labeling problems.

Odds are, your tape library's drives are connected via fibre channel and the persistent binding isn't working. You need to verify that each physical device is correctly mapped to the device files that NetWorker expects them to be mapped to.