Networker

[Networker] Errors labeling tapes?

2007-12-14 10:56:50
Subject: [Networker] Errors labeling tapes?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:53:07 -0500
Here's a new one ... I have some tapes that I've been using (i.e., they
are already labeled; they've been used in jobs before). Today I went to
re-label them, because (for some odd reason) the tape label doesn't match
the bar code. And I got this error:

>nsrjb -v -L -bPHACLONE -S2  1127153749

setting verbosity level to `1'
Info: Loading volume `893287' from slot `2' into device `\\.\Tape3'.
Info: Operation `Verify label' in progress on device `\\.\Tape3'
Info: Cannot read the current volume label `read open error: drive status
is There is not a tape in the drive'.
Info: nsrmmgd assumes the volume is unlabeled and will write a new label.
Info: Operation `Label without mount' in progress on device `\\.\Tape3'
Info: Label: `1127153749', pool: `PHACLONE', capacity: `<NULL>'.
Info: Operation `Eject' in progress on device `\\.\Tape3'
Info: Unloading volume `893287' from device `\\.\Tape3' to slot 2.
Error: read open error: drive status is There is not a tape in the drive
39077:nsrjb: error, Jukebox command terminated with errors.

I love the way it says there's no tape in the drive. :-) This tape volume
thinks it's 893287; it's supposed to be 1127153749 (which is the bar
code).

Has anybody seen this type of error before? I have a couple tapes where it
is showing up. But only a couple ...

This is not the first tape labeling oddness I've seen in NW 7.4 (on
Win2003, in my case, with an HP MSL 5052 tape library). I saw a post here
from some one else who also noticed labeling problems.

Any thoughts?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM