Networker

Re: [Networker] how do i resolve vss errors during client backups?

2007-12-13 07:35:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] how do i resolve vss errors during client backups?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:28:23 -0500
On Dec 13, 2007, at 6:55 AM, mark wragge wrote:

I am receiving a number of VSS errors on savesets during backups of some clients. Two of the clients are nodes of a win2003 cluster and the VSS errors appear only on the System State Components - is this backup supported on a cluster. The other client is a non clustered windows client and the VSS errors appear on the filesystems and system state. Some of the system state components work. The error message seen on this client is: save: VSS USER DATA: ERROR: Failed to initialize backup, error=0x80042301: VSS Backup or Restore is not in the correct state for the operation, or the writer is not in the correct state.

I have tried to solve the problem by putting the VSS:*=off entry in the application information of the client but it has no effect. What is the best way to resolve these errors and get a successful client backup?

Changes you make to a client resource do not take effect until the next backup; they have no effect on running backups, so that's why adding "VSS:*=off" had no effect. If the backups of the actual disk drives finished, they I don't see any other option but to stop the backup.