Networker

Re: [Networker] Client Names / Weird failures... / DNS ?

2007-12-04 00:34:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Client Names / Weird failures... / DNS ?
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:31:02 +1100
Worth trying this:

In the client's record change the 'save command' attribute from blank to
'save -c A'

If that fixes it then its to do with the name resolution environment on
the client itself - eg; when it looks up its own IP it gets B and then
it refers to itself as B within the nsrexec protocol. This may indicate
that host B registered one of it's private ip addresses which matches
your host's address in DNS dynamically - something windows loves doing,
no matter how stupid it sounds that servers can register all their ip's
themselves dynamically in DNS.

Maybe you cant control what the windows people do - but you can
anticipate it...  They typically use 192.168 for private nets because
that's what the example in the manual says....    Would it be possible
to avoid using 192.168 for DMZs?   172.16-31 is the place I'd use for
DMZs for precisely the reason that 192.168 has such a lot of issues with
clashes.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.