Networker

Re: [Networker] Storage Node disk space is full

2007-11-26 15:13:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Storage Node disk space is full
From: Andrew Quintana <Andrew.Quintana AT WPNI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:06:09 -0500
What you are doing with the script below is deleting the savesets from
the media database, not freeing up any space on the disk itself.  You're
actually halfway there, once you delete the media database entries you
need to remove any savesets from the disk that do not have any database
entries.  You just need to add an additional line to your script:

nsrstage -C -V [volumename]

When this is run from the command line (either manually or via a script
or batch file), it will delete any savesets on the specified volume that
do not have any corresponding media database entries.  Note that you
will get an error if the volume is active at the time, you need to run
it when that volume is idle.

I have to wonder why you're doing this to clean up space on a file-type
device.  Are you cloning to tape before you delete from the disk volume?
If so, maybe you should be staging rather than cloning, it will copy and
then delete from the disk in essentially one step.  If you prefer
cloning (maybe you're using the automated savegroup cloning), maybe you
should be adjusting your retention period to automatically clear off
savesets after a specified time.  Note that if you do this, your clones
will have the same retention period as the orginals unless you are
running 7.3.x or 7.4, and specify a longer retention period for your
clone pool.