Networker

[Networker] Max Sessions ignored, Target Sessions seems to be hard limit

2007-11-20 11:06:07
Subject: [Networker] Max Sessions ignored, Target Sessions seems to be hard limit
From: Andrew Quintana <Andrew.Quintana AT WPNI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:51:34 -0500
We have a master server and three storage nodes.  All backups are to
AFTDs, with cloning and staging to tape.  I tried setting the Target
Sessions on each of the AFTDs to one, leaving the Max sessions at the
default 512.  I would have thought that this would balance the number of
sessions to each device, with sessions being spread evenly amongst all
the valid devices until our server parallelism was reached.  I was
wrong.  Each AFTD will only run up to the number of sessions set as its
Target Sessions, and an alert shows up waiting for more valid devices
until the current sessions finish and another can take its place.  We're
nowhere near our server Parallelism set limit.

We're running 7.3.3 on Solaris 9, server and storage nodes.  I thought
there might be a problem with the updated device configs from 7.2.x, so
I deleted and recreated all of the devices from scratch, no effect.  I
tried staging off the AFTDs, deleting the volumes and re-creating, no
effect.  To actually get our backups done overnight I've increased the
Target Sessions across the board.  Networker still stops assigning
sessions to each device when the Target Sessions is reached, then alerts
for waiting for more devices.

Anyone seen this?  Any ideas?