Networker

[Networker] VMWARE Backups

2007-11-16 13:55:05
Subject: [Networker] VMWARE Backups
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:48:55 -0600
Hello,
I wonder if any one out there is doing Vmware VCB backups via Legato,
NetApp, Avamar, ESX Ranger, i would like to know their experience,
problems and benefits.
Can you summarize why you would use one method instead of other, what
level of scripting require, hardware and or other configuration
considerations.
After reading a lot, my preference seems to fall right now towards
"AVAMAR" for following reasons.
Avamar:
1. We are Legato Shop and avamar is integrated in Legato as of 7.4.
2. We would not need separate backup solution.
VRANGER:
1. What i am not clear on is what actually backup up the VCB mounted vmdk
luns? i.e can Legato be used ?
2. Will it require additional hardware in terms of Tape lib etc to backup
the mounted luns ? in this case avamar could be more suitable as we
already have legato.
3. How would vranger integrate with backup software, in other words, how
would i keep track of what vranger backed up to what medium.
3. I do like the interface and the way it handles backup, but don't know
integrating with backup software could prove difficult ?
NetApp:
I could use netapp snapshot, since all  the vm's are configured on NetApp
San, however it may involve heavy scripting and keeping track of them.
1. Could i use either avamar or vranger to create the spanshot mount it on
NetApp San and use ndmp backups, is any one doing this, can you explain
how?
2. NetApp Snapshot are very convenient, so if i could automate it , it
could provide ideal solution? but will require homegrown expertise ?

Any other solutions out there, please explain, including how other backup
vendors are integrating VCB backups ?
Thanks