Networker

Re: [Networker] Disk-based backups

2007-11-14 13:30:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disk-based backups
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:28:03 -0500
On 11/14/07 1:09 PM, Paul Steele wrote:
Our backups are taking longer and longer so we're interesting in finding
ways to improve things.

If the problem is in getting the data from the clients to networker, then going to disk first (whether it is traditional disk or a VTL) isn't going to get you a lot of speed improvement. It will save your real tape drives a lot of shoe-shining though -- because staging (assuming no network traffic) is going to be a lot faster.

I use a mix of things here. I have some data-domain de-duplicating disk (which we never stage) and some traditional disk that we have configured to let networker stage (at this point). So far, it has worked well for us. We have definitely seen our backups speed up as the bottle neck moved from the old AIT-3 tape drives to the network connection. What our customers have noticed is the restores from disk are amazingly fast.

I'm currently working toward a disk pool that is large enough to hold our weekend fulls. So, we can clone from the disk to tape and then stage it to tape to clear off the disk pool for the next weekend's set of fulls -- we're currently discussing whether to use more traditional disk or jump into the VTL arena and get rid of AFTD's (other than the Data Domain devices) entirely.