Networker

Re: [Networker] How to trigger staging on an advanced file type device

2007-11-12 11:15:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to trigger staging on an advanced file type device
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:09:02 -0500
On Nov 10, 2007, at 3:37 AM, Frank Swasey wrote:

Stan,

You have told us the high and low water mark settings, but what are the other settings you configured for the staging?

I use "oldest save set" as the selection, have the max storage period set to 45 days, run recover space every 5 hours and file system check every 2 hours. (I also use 90% and 70% as my high and low water marks).

I had a problem in June after I upgraded from 7.2.2 to 7.3.2 that automatic staging didn't work and with EMC's help I wound up manually staging everything off and recreating the AFTD's -- but it sounds like this AFTD was created after 7.4 for you -- so, that shouldn't be the same kind of issue.

Thanks Frank;

I really have to revise my staging policy and you have given me some good ideas on things to consider. Right now, the advanced file type device is busy staging data to tape. When the staging to tape is done, I will come up with a better staging policy. What I started out doing is simply using a 30% low water mark and a 70% high water mark, but nothing else. This approach obviously doesn't work because of the inability of NetWworker 7.4 to begin reading the device while it is receiving backup data.