Networker

[Networker] What order does NW clone ssids in?

2007-11-11 22:14:35
Subject: [Networker] What order does NW clone ssids in?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:10:44 -0500
Hi,

If I create a list of ssids (/tmp/ssid.txt), and I run an nsrclone command as:

nsrclone -s server -v -b 'clone pool' -S -f /tmp/ssid.txt

What order does NW clone these save sets in?

Clearly, it's not the same as the order that they're listed in the file. I tested this, and NW doesn't seem to abide by this order. Next, I suspected that perhaps it was going in order by nsavetime, but this also appears to be not completely the case as there were several ssids whose nsavetimes were larger than others and were cloned later and/or vice versa. None of the save sets listed in the file spanned any of the volumes; they were all completely contained on the given volume.

It seems it would be more efficient for NW to simply clone all the ssids that are on a given volume before loading the next one. In my case, I had 9 different tapes, several of which were swapped in and out several times during the cloning operation. Seems silly and unnecessary, but not sure how to get around this unless I create separate input files?

We're running 7.2.2 on Solaris. All cloning was done from original tapes on an snode running Linux and 7.2.2 to a clone volume on the same snode.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210