Networker

Re: [Networker] VTL or disk cabinet backup

2007-11-05 18:39:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] VTL or disk cabinet backup
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:35:04 -0500
>Indeed, but then you use 40 virtual tapes at once and we only have 100
>virtual tapes online.  When the oldest cycles start to recycle, the
tape
>can still be full for a long time if there is data written on it over a

>period of let's say 10 days.  If we maken smaller but more tapes, we
>need a more expensive license to deal with an autochanger with that
many
>slots.  And if we chose not to keep all the volumes online, and have
>fewer slots, we need to manually change the tapes virtually with the
VTL
>software as if we were changing the tape in a tape robot and storing
>them in a vault.  That's a lot of overhead.

I agree.  EMC's not being very VTL-friendly with a slot-based pricing
model.  Pressure them to offer a capacity-based model as well, and then
you wouldn't have the issue you describe.

>is the dedupe an option?  We have the VTL from SUN, and if we read
>from a VTL device with parallelism 4 for example, we read at a lot less

>of the max read speed (I don't think it is 1/4th like with a tape
device).

Again, there is no reason to multiplex to virtual tape drives.  Create
more virtual tape drives and turn off multiplexing.

As to your question, dedupe is an option on SOME VTLs.  I'm not sure if
Sun is reselling Falconstor's dedupe offering yet.