Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup over WAN

2007-11-02 10:00:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup over WAN
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:54:51 -0400
On Nov 2, 2007, at 9:42 AM, Fazil.Saiyed AT anixter DOT com wrote:

Hello,
Stan, in the method you describe refers to NDMP to NDMP backups, i believe you said you have the NDMP tape server licence, is that accurate ? are the devices on SN configured as NDMP ? Can you take out all other sn attribute from the client resource but the one you want to backup to and try again ? What version of NDMP ? Can you turn on NDMP debug on the Device and the group that it backup to ? Is your pools, device allocation exclude NDMP devices from the server for the group for NDMP ? What about zoning, how can NDMP write to devices not zoned to the NDMP appliance ? i am not a zoning expert however, backup servers devices should not be zoned on the NDMP appliance if that is the case ? If you are using the over the network method make sure the cmd has correct IP for the SN in the cmd line.
Here is the sample cmd  that works with Netapp
nsrndmp_save -T dump -M -P 10.10.0.170 ( IP should be of the server or SN)

I am doing a DSA backup now to an advanced file type device on a storage node, however, this type of backup has only been in production since Monday. Previously, my NDMP clients were backed up to tape directly via the NetWorker server. I don't need Snapimage now, and it is not even installed on our new hardware. I haven't tried the -P option yet, but why use the IP address rather than the host name? I intend to try -P as soon as the current NDMP backups finish.