Networker

Re: [Networker] VTL or disk cabinet backup

2007-11-01 10:42:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] VTL or disk cabinet backup
From: Birk Bohne <f_x AT GMX DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 15:38:21 +0100
Hello Tim,

imho VTL's are more flexible then Disk Backups.

You can share disk space of the VTL with several NetWorker Servers and
Storagenodes. In one data zone you can have several (dedicated) storage
nodes sharing the VTL with the backup server. No drive sharing licences are
needed because of every server can have its own virtual tape drives. You
only need to license the slots and the (dedicated) storage nodes. Another
advantage is that if one virtual volume is full NetWorker uses the next.
With Disk Backup he waits for free space on that volume (only new savesets
go to other volumes). You can also share the disk space of the vtl with
different operation systems (e.g. Backup Server RHEL, Storagenodes Windows
and HPUX). Directed restores can use the own virtual tape drives with
volumes written from another storagenode.

Disk Backups have the advantage of concurrent backups and restores, but You
can handle this with smart configuration of VTL Slots and the size of the
virtual volumes (e.g. 128 Slots with 100GB per volume instead of 64 Slots
with 200GB per volume).

Birk