Networker

Re: [Networker] Storage Array not showing up in Networker 7.4

2007-11-01 03:20:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Storage Array not showing up in Networker 7.4
From: David Stes <stes AT PANDORA DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:19:11 +0100
> Date:         Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:25:04 -0700
> From:         charles <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
>
> Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. We heard back from EMC
> today and SAS devices are not currently supported in Networker.

Hello,

I am not sure what the context is/was of this discussion, but for what
it's worth, I'm using a SAS disk array with NetWorker 7.2.2 without problems.

The HBA is a LSI 1068E (PCI-e card) and the array is a SUN 2530.
It's attached to Linux with a EXT2FS filesystem.

In a NetWorker "bigasm" test I get about 240 MB/s when backing up to the
 disks (total number of disks is currently just 5).

The answer that "SAS devices are not currently supported" sounds like an
answer that is not really helpful.

My guess is that if you use SAS disk arrays (like we do) it more depends
on the filesystem and the operating system support for the devices, rather
than NetWorker.  In other words, if you use SUN devices or IBM devices,
it probably depends more on using the right drivers rather than on the
NetWorker version ...

(Unless you are doing something weird in NetWorker 7.4 with direct scsi
access or so ?)

Regards,
DAvid Stes