Networker

Re: [Networker] 7500 Mb/s on 10 GbE!

2007-10-22 09:51:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7500 Mb/s on 10 GbE!
From: Adrian Saul <asaul AT HOME-BOX.ODS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:38:20 +1000
Yes, the 10G cards use offloading as well as a newly improved Solaris 10 IP stack to improve throughput.

lemons_terry AT emc DOT com wrote:
I agree that the overhead involved with managing enough NetWorker client
sessions to achieve that aggregate throughput, coupled with those client's
abilities (or not) to read the source data quickly enough from disk, make 7500
Mb/s unachievable in many environments.

But how about the little-known NetWorker feature of being able to clone over IP
between storage nodes?  In this use case, the to-be-cloned data is already
aggregated in one place.  I think it's reasonable to expect that
properly-configured storage nodes could sustain 900 MB/s (~+ 7500 Mb/s) from/to
disk/tape through a server's memory and I/O buses.

I took a quick look at the specs for the Sun dual 10 Gb/s card, and didn't see
words like 'TOE', though I did see 'application acceleration'.  Anyone know if
these cards offload some of the IP stack processing form the host system CPU?

tl