Networker

[Networker] Cloning has slowed way down

2007-10-17 16:16:28
Subject: [Networker] Cloning has slowed way down
From: John Shaw <jshawut AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:02:03 -0500
All,

In our environment we've seen a recent slow-down for the speed of our
cloning.

Our backup server is in one datacenter and the cloning Storage Node is in
another.  We recently needed to move the cloning Storage Node to a 3rd data
center location on campus, the fiber channel infrastructure is the same, but
the new data center has some networking gear that is very new for us (IP
Based network).  Also all our SAN disk and Tape are on the same fiber
channel infrastructure.  Disks are presented with dual paths, Tapes are
single path.

Our current config is:

Networker 7.2.x  = Windows 2003 Server
Storage Node = Windows 2003 Server

We write backups to drives presented from CDL VTL's locally and then clone
the data to the storage node which has separate drives presented from the
CDL (for reading) and drives presented to a physical library (for writing).

Prior to the move we experienced a pretty decent speed for the cloning
(anywhere from 10-50 MB/s) as displayed in the Devices tab.  The new data
center implementation has slowed down to less than 1.5 MB/s.

Anyone have advice on where to start looking...

Is there anything on the IP Based network that could be creating a
bottleneck for cloning??
How can I tell if the problem might be with writing or with reading?

Any help would be great.