Networker

Re: [Networker] Avamar dedup

2007-10-15 15:19:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Avamar dedup
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:13:10 -0400
I was interviewed about this the other day. I think the combined client
is a great thing.  I also like the idea of being able to manage both
from NetWorker.  I believe it's still going to require a separate Avamar
server/cluster if you want to do de-dupe.  Does anyone know different?
Does it allow you to back up Avamar clients to a NetWorker server?  I
know you can manage the backups with a NetWorker server, but I think
they still back up to an Avamar server (think of it as a special purpose
storage node).

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies