Networker

[Networker] : [Networker] NetApp

2007-10-12 08:43:54
Subject: [Networker] : [Networker] NetApp
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:41:08 -0500
Hello,
We have NetApp, but we do not rely on snapshots due to disk usage
concerns, if you size the volume correctly & apply some automatic handling
of out of control snapshots, i like them, we have them enabled
occasionally for smaller volumes, you will need to tune your fractional
reserve space, vol size, and configure the volume appropriately ( check
the flexvol setup instructions) in order to prevent out of space issues (
for volatile data, i.e nsf's)
As far as backups go, we utilize NDMP for CIFS and do not backup luns, if
you automate the mount to another filer via snapvault etc, then you may
better protect your luns with ndmp backups or replication.
How large are the luns you mention ?

Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
10/12/2007 07:27 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Networker] NetApp

Does anyone have any experience with NetApps Snapshot or SnapVault
products?  We're looking into them as a possibility for some of our
larger NW clients.

Thanks!

Teresa

type