Networker

Re: [Networker] Not suppressing output of a job

2007-10-10 03:35:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Not suppressing output of a job
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:32:41 +1000
>>> I haven't been able to find out where I can tell NetWorker to not
>>> suppress
>>> output; I'd prefer to have it all come to me, so I can skip the
>>> extra step
>>> of having to go to this particular daemon.log to see what is
>>> failing and
>>> why. I did go to the group definition and choose "verbose" for
>>> this group
>>> in the advanced options, but that didn't seem do what I want.
>>>
>>> Is there some switch or option that I am missing? Both server and
>>> client
>>> are NW 7.4 for Windows.
>>
>> This is a known bug in 7.4. There is also a fix for it: LGTsc07669.
>> Try to get it from your support
>
> I don't think that bug fixes the issue; it fixes savegroup report
> truncation, which is different. That being said, if you have
> powerlink access, you can just such for LGTsc07669 and follow the
> directions to download the appropriate binaries.

I doubt you'll have much luck.

Having logged a case with support and discussed the matter with them, the
NO_SUPPRESS feature has been discontinued from 7.3.3 onwards, and I doubt
that there'll be much traction getting it re-added in 7.4 either.

Apparently the powers that be (sigh) decided that you can get the same
information from running the savegroup from the command line with a "-vvv"
option, completely disregarding any notion of people who either (a) want to
receive it all the time or (b) problems that can only be debugged when run
through their normally scheduled processes.

FWIW I completely disagree with the notion that "savegrp -vvv" is the same
functionality and therefore there's been none lost by dropping NO_SUPPRESS,
and would strongly advise others who find that this is going to make their
life difficult to log bug reports/complain to their EMC reps.

Cheers,

Preston de Guise.

--
http://www.anywebdb.com