Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup Problem

2007-10-04 11:23:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup Problem
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:18:11 -0400
On Oct 4, 2007, at 11:04 AM, Willett, Jr., Edward W. (Contractor) wrote:

I am running Networker 7.2.1 Build 311 on windows 2003.  On of my
windows 2000 clients is refusing to backup.  The client is running
version 7.2.1 of networker also. What happens is that the group starts and runs other client in the group but this client never sends any data
to the server.  When I look at the client I see the nsrexecd process
running as well as a save process.  Has anyone seen anything like this
or have any ideas where to go.  I have restarted the networker on the
server and client. I have reinstalled networker on the client. I have
checked to ensure that there is communication between the client and
server both ways.  I have let this group run for 24+ hours and the job
never runs or throws an error.

Eddie;

A better question is, who hasn't seen that type of problem?

There are several standard steps to pursue in investigating this type of problem.

Just off the top of my head ...

1) verify reverse DNS for the NetWorker server and the client work properly on both server and client and make sure the client is properly registered in DNS or referenced in the NetWorker server's hosts file.

2) make sure someone didn't enable a firewall on the client and if so, either turn it off or open up the ports NetWorker
    wants.

3)  make sure a firewall device is not hindering backups of this client

4) try initiating a backup on the client to see if it works. If it does work, odds are, its a firewall issue.