Networker

Re: [Networker] How best to script re-labeling tapes ...

2007-10-01 12:37:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] How best to script re-labeling tapes ...
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 11:29:38 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] How best to script re-labeling tapes ...,...:

In this case the OP said that he was planning to relabel recyclable
tapes into the same pool, which to me seems to be like a broken pencil -
pointless.

We do the same thing the original poster asked about with our pool for
email backups.  We do it to make NetWorker's tape recycling more
deterministic for that pool.

Why, you ask?  Because I work for an institution in an American state
that has "Open Records" laws.  If NetWorker hasn't relabled a recycleable
tape and an information discovery request comes in, I'm obligated to do
the restore.  If we force NetWorker to recycle tapes as soon as all data
on the tape has passed our retention window, rather than leaving it to
NetWorker's whims, we have greater control over our data retention.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)