Networker

Re: [Networker] Group running with no active client sessions

2007-08-28 14:50:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Group running with no active client sessions
From: Roberta Gold <gold11 AT LLNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:29:44 -0700
I also had a case with EMC about Case 1, but all I got was solution to stop the group. No fixes so it won't happen again and no reason why it was occurring in the first place. In my case, it was a daily occurrence, which meant that groups could possibly be hung for days if it was the weekend, holiday, dayoff ....

 > Is there a common cause for your case 2, or is it just quirky behavior
 from NetWorker?

Case 2 is relatively rare, probably once a month across a dozen data
zones. Case 1, on the other hand, happens maybe a dozen times a week.

If I were a betting man I'd bet some money -- but not the farm -- that
case 1 (running savegroup and nsrexec, no session) has a common cause
and case 2 (running savegroup, no nsrexec process, no session) is a
quirk.

I've had cases open with EMC on several occasions and to their credit
they have tried to help. But I only have a very small window in which I
can test for the situation and rectify it I let them close the last case
because we weren't able to make any meaningful headway in that amount of
time.