Networker

Re: [Networker] Mixed LTO tapes in a library

2007-08-27 15:56:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Mixed LTO tapes in a library
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:50:47 +0300
John Hope-Bailie wrote:
Hi Yaron,
Thanks for the feedback. I must be missing something.

You have confirmed that your LTO-2 cartridges are now all shown as LTO-3
media type. As far as I am aware the definition of the media type takes
place when the catridge is labelled, and is set according to the media
type of the drive.  This could be explained if all of your LTO-2
cartridges have been re-labelled since the introduction of your new
drives.

Can you confirm this ?

This is probably the case. Every cartridge is labeled after four months at most and the library was replaced more than four months ago. So, I guess your explanation is valid. Checking /nsr/logs/messages from that time shows that indeed after relabeling, the cartridges' type is changed to LTO-3.

If not, I am baffled as to how they could have changed from LTO-2 media
type to LTO-3 media type.

Cheers,
John Hope-Bailie

--