Networker

Re: [Networker] Merging indexes

2007-08-23 17:14:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Merging indexes
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:09:47 -0700
> Is there a way to merge the indexes from several data zones into one data
> zone.  We have several data zones at various sites but want to be able to do
> restores from a central location for when tapes return from offsite for a
> restore so that we don't have to drive out to the site.  Has anyone done
> anything like this?  How complicated would it be to merge indexes from
> various networker servers to a single server?  I know the easy solution is
> to have all the remote sites be storage nodes and only have once central
> server but I am not able to that at this time.

I've punted on this.  Since 6, it should at least be possible to do
this, but it's not trivial.

Instead I have a machine that has all the other machine's indexes on
disk.  If I need a restore, I link the machine in questions to /nsr and
start networker.  This is reasonable given the rarity of restores.  If I
had to restore from multiple environments simultaneously, this wouldn't
work too well.