Networker

Re: [Networker] new to Virtual Tape Library - what are the benefits?

2007-08-22 19:54:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] new to Virtual Tape Library - what are the benefits?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:52:49 -0700
> 1. There is the issue with managing migration to tape.  With NetWorker,
> there are easy ways and hard ways.
>
> With disk/AFTD, you would use the disk staging facility in NW.  It will
> automatically stage backups to tape from disk, and delete de-staged
> backups to make room for new babckups.
>
> With an integrated VTL (like the EMC CDL, IBM, Sun, Falconstor, NetApp,
> et al), you can have the CDL manage the migration.  It sits between your
> networker server and the physical tape library (PTL).  It inventories
> the PTL and represents to the NW server virtual tapes with the same
> barcode and capacity as the real tapes.  You back up to the fake tapes
> and eject them.  It then automatically copies them to physical tape.
>
> If you don't like either of these options, the "hard way" is to script
> your way into happiness.  If you like this method, there's not much
> difference between an AFTD and a VTL/IDT from a migration perspective.

Also, check on how the physical tape management is going to work in your
environment.  I used a combo VTL about 3 years ago at a client.  It had
it's uses, but one big problem with it was absolutely no CLI.  They had
most of their tape motion scripted before it arrived, with email to colo
operators at remote locations.  With the IDT, someone had to pull up a
web page and press buttons because the Networker/NetBackup "eject"
didn't eject a physical tape.