Networker

Re: [Networker] Trying to reuse tapes with auto media management into many pools.

2007-08-20 16:32:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Trying to reuse tapes with auto media management into many pools.
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:28:18 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Trying to reuse tapes with auto media management...:

Hi All,

I have hundreds of old tapes with that are not set to expire for years. I
want to erase and reuse them in my jukebox.

I run legato 732 and automedia management enabled.

Auto media management has nothing to do with the problem.  This has been
discussed many times in the past, and Davina has been on a mission to try
stamp out the misunderstanding with auto media management.  If you search
the archives for this list, you'll see what I mean.

Auto Media Management only applies to unlabelled tapes, not tapes that
have a readable NetWorker label on them.

The problem you have is that the tapes are not recycleable.  You need
to make the tapes recycleable before NetWorker will reuse them.

If you have a list of all of the volume names (or volume ids), you can
script making them recycleable using the nsrmm command.  They do not have
to be in the jukebox for this to happen.

You may also want to investigate the "pools" setting to "recycle to other
pools" and "recycle from other pools".

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)