Networker

[Networker] How to control access for recovers?

2007-08-17 11:27:29
Subject: [Networker] How to control access for recovers?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:23:13 -0400
I would like to be able to grant access to one or more Windows administrators to be able to recover *any* data backed up from Windows machines, but is there a way to grant them this access without giving them permission to also recover data backed up from Unix machines?

We're using 7.2.2 on a Solaris server, backing up both Unix and Windows clients.

Under nwadmin, I see the "User Groups", featuring 'Users' and 'Administrators'. It seems that these two groups are identical with the exception of the privileges granted but could be made equivalent by simply selecting everything, but otherwise you have *@* with 1 of the 8 privileges selected: 'Monitor NetWorker'.

1. If I change "*@* to the specific Windows admins. and add 'Recover local data' then they would only be able to recover data that was backed up on the host they're running the recover program from, correct?

2. If they're a Windows administrator on that system then they would be able to recover all the data; otherwise, only data that they had read access to?

3. If I want them to be able to recover data from Windows machine A to Windows machine B then I assume I have to also select: 'Remote access all clients'?

4. What would prevent them then from recovering data that had been backed up on a Unix box to a Windows box?

The problem I see here is that there's no way apparent way to customize things on a per user basis. What ever options you select apply to all the listed users. So, maybe I want everyone to be able to monitor NetWorker, so I have *@* listed under the Users Group with only 'Monitor NetWorker' selected, but as soon as I want specific people to be also be able to recover data then I'm granting everyone permission to recover data wherein before they only had monitoring capability. Furthermore, there doesn't appear to be any way to segregate Windows and Unix permissions. And it looks as if as soon as I grant a user permission to be able to recover from any Windows box to any Windows box, I'm then allowing them to recover from any box period, Unix or Windows. Seems like this should be more granular.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210