Networker

[Networker] Any interest in an SMF startup for Legato Solaris 10?

2007-08-15 01:33:52
Subject: [Networker] Any interest in an SMF startup for Legato Solaris 10?
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT UWS.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:29:44 +1000
Hi,

I have cut together a prototype of an SMF boot script for Networker.

This is specifically for Solaris 10 environments since it uses the new FMA/SMF/Manifest facilities to start/stop applications.

I got tired of waiting for EMC/Legato to do this, so I cut my own.

The benefits of using a native SMF facility for starting Legato over the old /etc/rc?.d/ scripts is that any startup errors are logged and if the nsrexecd daemon dies on a client, it will automatically attempt to restart it. Also the old rc script methods are going away, so this is an attempt to future proof Legato until they implement the new methods themselves.

I will not post the scripts and procedures here, but if anyone is interested, I will pass them on and include the procedures to enable this feature.

Also, I want comments and improvements so we can harden this up a bit more.

Perhaps someone will host the stuff for me as well?!

So far it appears to work fine, but testing is appreciated.

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT