Networker

[Networker] Networker 7.3.2 and 7.4 logging on Linux

2007-08-14 17:36:22
Subject: [Networker] Networker 7.3.2 and 7.4 logging on Linux
From: dfields <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:32:48 -0700
Can anyone tell me why the EMC decided to change the way logging is done on
Linux clients (and I'm assuming on servers also):

# NetWorker - DO NOT DELETE OR CHANGE THIS LINE
daemon.notice     /dev/console
daemon.notice     /nsr/logs/messages
daemon.notice     operator
local0.notice     /nsr/logs/summary
local0.alert      root, operator
# NetWorker - DO NOT DELETE OR CHANGE THIS LINE

The third line means that any notice messages from the daemon facility will get
logged in the networker messages log file.  For example, if I restart the ntpd
daemon, it gets logged in the networker messages file.

What if I'm using Local0 for something else already????

While I can see that you might want to log all deamon messages into a central
log file for security auditing, I don't see why you would want to put those
into logs supposedly reserved for just a particular application.

If anyone else agrees, let's all put in trouble tickets complaining about this.

And I think there have already been posts to the effect that the daemon.log
file is gone and that you have to use a separate program to read them now.

If it wasn't for the investment we have in Legato, I'd say it's time to move to
something else.

Can you convert back to 7.2.1?  The 7.3 and 7.4 versions aren't cooked yet