Networker

[Networker] Networker Cross Platform Data Migration

2007-08-07 11:26:47
Subject: [Networker] Networker Cross Platform Data Migration
From: Nate Smith <nsmith AT CAREYWEB DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 11:12:45 -0400
To whom it may concern:

     I have a large amount of data (a few hundred tapes), that I want to
migrate to a newer media, in a different system than legato.  The problem I
have doing this is that the tapes are from save sets of a Windows Server 2000,
and 2003 client.  The server is a linux server, and I'm on version 6.1.4.  I
have done large migrations like this in the past, writing a script around
nsrjb, and the following command:

scanner -c clientname /dev/nrst8 -x uasm -rv -m/=/restore_path

     Basically, I just read the tapes, write them to a large storage pool, then
put them into the new system.  This works fine when everything is on
unix/linux, but since these save sets are all off of windows, and I want to
retain NTFS attributes, I need to restore them on the client side, with minimal
user intervention.  I need to write some sort of scanner script that scans the
tape, and initiates a restore on the client side, to the appropriate restore
path.  I've looked through the archives, but haven't found anything that
matches this very well.  Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan Smith
Sr. Network/Systems Analyst
Carey Color Inc.