Networker

Re: [Networker] NW test server

2007-07-27 08:59:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW test server
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:54:45 +0100
Teresa Biehler wrote:
The test environment I have in mind would be just for testing purposes -
testing an upgrade, testing homegrown scripts, evaluating monitoring
tools, etc.

A coworker and I got into a long discussion about whether "delete the
whole environment and load with an evaluation license" was indeed being
legally licensed.  Per the coworker, a lawyer friend of his says this is
considered getting around the licensing requirements.  What do you all
think?

I am no legal expert, but bear in mind that in order to blow away the whole environment and start again you need to delete the media database. Indeed the media DB contains some of the licensing information. So by starting again it means you are unable to easily recover backups from the previous installation, making the solution pretty much unworkable as an ongoing backup solution. You can use the system for testing, but it is not much use for protecting your data. I would say this ought to get you off the hook.