Networker

Re: [Networker] Name resolution issue

2007-07-26 10:41:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Name resolution issue
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:35:03 -0400
On Jul 26, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:

We have three clients that were migrated to a different domain, and since the migration, I can't get these servers to backup. All three clients are Windows 2003 Standard Server, running the 7.2.2 client, and the Networker server is Solaris 8, running the 7.2.2 server. Other servers that were
migrated haven't had any issues once DNS was cleaned up.  Here's the
situation:
Backups from the server - it probes successfully and tells me what drives
are on the server.  But when it tries to back them up, it gives me an
error, Name resolution failed for the host with IP address: x.x.x.x, then
Cannot open save session with the server.
Forward and reverse DNS lookup properly from the client to the server, and vice versa. I even put an entry in the hosts file on both the client and
server.
Backups from the client - same name resolution error, then Cannot open
Backup session with the server.
I opened a case with EMC support, but after trying all her suggestions, I got nowhere. I've updated the ticket and havent' been called back, so I'm
posting this to the listserv for help.

What does netstat say on the clients and server when a backup is being attempted?

This is just a stab in the dark, but on the NetWorker server, go into /nsr/tmp and grep the sg files for the old IP and/or hostname for the clients and see if anything turns up. If you find an sg. file containing the any of clients' old network information, that would be cause for concern, especially if the last access date on that file is fairly current. If you find such files, try shutting down all the NetWorker processes on the server (nsr_shutdown) and then delete all the files in /nsr/tmp but not the sec directory. Then either reboot the server or start the NetWorker processes manually.

--
Stan Horwitz
Temple University

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: The information contained in this e-mail, including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Temple University. The information is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named in the e-mail. If you are not an intended recipient or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or distribution of any such information is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.