Networker

Re: [Networker] Why a client/server communication doesn't use the standard ports?

2007-07-24 08:43:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why a client/server communication doesn't use the standard ports?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:39:38 +0100
Manel Rodero wrote:

I've set firewall rules between Legato client/servers so that only the standard ports 7937-9936 and 10001-30000 are allowed. Some of our clients fail sometimes and when this happens we can see that the firewall is blocking the communications because its source/target ports like in this fragment:

Server = 10.10.1.8

The rules we have are the following:

ALLOW
 From Legato Clients (10001-30000) --> To Legato Server (7937-9936)
- This rule is for client starting connections to the server

ALLOW except SYN
 From Legato Clients (7937,7938) --> To Legato Server (Any)
- This rule is for receiving the response of server starting connections

FWIW these are wrong.

It should be as follows:

From clients to server:
From 10000-30000 to 7937-9936 TCP

From server to clients:
From 10000-30000 to 7937-7938 TCP

There is no need for a rule that has packets originating from 7937-7938, you have misread the instructions. There is no need for a rule for ANY.

Do you know why clients are trying to connect for example to port 909 in the server?

This will be for something other than NetWorker and will not stop the backups working.