Networker

Re: [Networker] ADIC Scalar i500 cleaning notification and "MOVE MEDIUM" errors

2007-07-18 08:24:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] ADIC Scalar i500 cleaning notification and "MOVE MEDIUM" errors
From: Paul Robertson <probertson AT UNIXWAY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:18:50 -0400
We did open a support call with EMC, and they suggested we needed to enable
CDI; unfortunately, we had huge problems with CDI in the past (we couldn't
read our tapes due to blocksize errors), so we're more than a little gunshy.

We've decided to disable library-based autocleaning as well, and use
Networker periodic cleaning.  I do have a couple of questions after
reading the documentation:

 o Networker appears to require that I specify the library slots
   associated with the cleaning tapes. Does networker care about the
   labels on those tapes? We don't currently have "CLNxxxx" labels,
   and want to make sure that's ok.

 o Since our tape drives are shared between the Networker server and a
   storage node, I'm wondering about how to define the cleaning
   frequency for the drive to avoid conflicts. For example, a single
   tape drive has device definitions /dev/rmt/2cbn as well as
   rd=racnyc03:/dev/rmt/2cbn. How would I configure networker assuming
   that I want to clean the tape drive once a month? I would assume that
   I would define periodic cleaning just one of the two device definitions
   (e.g. /dev/rmt/2cbn), but wanted to check.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Cheers,

Paul