Networker

[Networker] tape support (was: Best upgrade path from 7.1.4?)

2007-07-16 19:02:52
Subject: [Networker] tape support (was: Best upgrade path from 7.1.4?)
From: David Magda <dmagda AT EE.RYERSON DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:59:26 -0400
On Jul 16, 2007, at 11:14, Laszlo Papp wrote:

7.4 I have not heard much about it yet. . . . But I do understand that
it will support ATI5 and I al looking forwards to that . . .

I'm curious about this statement. What exactly is needed to support a new tape technology?

I would think that the SCSI tape command layer (SSC-3) would be fairly sufficient to do most things (rewind, FF, toggle compression, etc.). The only thing that maybe would need to be specified is the block size and tape capacity for estimating usage patterns (though use of compression would throw this out as how much you get is determined by what you're backing up).

As long as the device is detected on the bus by the OS, and Networker can access the /dev nodes, what needs to be done in the software?