Networker

Re: [Networker] SOPHOS and incremental Backups

2007-07-15 19:00:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] SOPHOS and incremental Backups
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:57:31 +1000
Vince,

> I too have suspicions about Sophos interfering with NetWorker backups.
> We have a number of clients running Sophos EM and they sometimes have
> problems, usually in the form of slow backups or more backup data than
> I'm expecting.  I would be interested to hear what the list might have
> to say on this.

The last company I was at we ditched Sophos after using it for a year; the
sole reason for doing so was that within a very short order of deploying it
across about 30 desktops and laptops, we logged a request that the product
be updated to work like other virus scanners and actually have a list of
executables to exclude from scanning; i.e., if "save.exe" is accessing a
file, don't interfere, so to speak.

When it was time to renew the best advise we got was to turn off virus
scanning during backups. This wasn't acceptable.

I'm not sure whether they've ever implemented this; by the looks of the
discussions, they may not have.

Cheers,

Preston de Guise.

--