Networker

Re: [Networker] how many licenses do i require?

2007-07-10 18:47:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] how many licenses do i require?
From: Rick Brode <rick AT BRODETRAINING DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:44:03 -0600
Mark,

This is a known issue. When clustering using MSCS, the cluster nodes will sometimes incorrectly be assigned a normal client connection license. This bug is supposedly fixed in NW 7.4.

As far as I know, to fix it requires contacting EMC and asking them to provide (for free) enough client connection licenses to make up for the ones inproperly assigned to the cluster nodes.

Rick

===================
Rick Brode
EMC NetWorker Training
www.brodetraining.com

mark wragge wrote:

I have a windows networker 7.3.2 server installed which includes 10 client
licenses. I have purchased 7 cluster client connection licenses and they are
installed and authorized. The servers i wish to back up are:
 1 * 2 node cluster (mscs)
 1 * 2 node cluster  (mscs)
 1 * 3 node cluster  (mscs)
 5 servers (win2003)
 This is a total of 12 servers. As 7 of the servers are members of clusters i
thought that my 7 cluster connection licenses covered the backup of these. That
should leave me with 10 client licenses to cover my 5 servers (networker server
included).
One of my server backups are failing saying that i do not have enough licenses. If i delete one of the clients and re-attempt the backup it will be successful as the license has been reallocated. The output of nsrlic -l indicates that the cluster nodes have been allocated client licenses instead of cluster client connection licenses. Nsrlic also indicated that one of the virtual servers has been allocated a client license. Nsrlic indicates that only 2 of the 7 cluster licenses are in use. Are there known issues with allocation of networker licenses? How can the license be allocated correctly?